This is weird!

If it flies, it dies..
Tfd1224
Spike

This is weird!

Post by Tfd1224 »

Found this in a hoodie I killed today. Whoever it was was shooting a good group.
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbwire's dad
Button

Re: This is weird!

Post by barbwire's dad »

Wow, how do you cook hoodies? I have a couple in the freezer I need to cook.
"There's no such thing as a failure who keeps trying" -- John Popper

Tfd1224
Spike

Post by Tfd1224 »

I cut the breast into 3/4"-1"chunks and soak in moores marinade for about 5 minutes, wrap in bacon, stick em on a skewer and throw on the grill with some tony chacheres

bobwhite
Just another Goober
Just another Goober

Post by bobwhite »

That is weird, that's pretty good shooting for a pellet gun. I never have been able to cook a merganser that tasted good.
WAR EAGLE!!

Dkhargroves
6 Point

Post by Dkhargroves »

Weird how the pellets didn't even flatten or deform one bit. Side note- who shoots flat pellets anymore? My boys shoot pointed or hollow points

bobwhite
Just another Goober
Just another Goober

Post by bobwhite »

Dkhargroves wrote:Weird how the pellets didn't even flatten or deform one bit. Side note- who shoots flat pellets anymore? My boys shoot pointed or hollow points

Your right, now that I think about it, when my son was using pellets hell we bought some that were ballistic tip! A flat nosed pellet would have been a last resort to shoot back in the day... ten years ago. Lol.
WAR EAGLE!!

Tfd1224
Spike

This is weird!

Post by Tfd1224 »

Dkhargroves wrote:Weird how the pellets didn't even flatten or deform one bit. Side note- who shoots flat pellets anymore? My boys shoot pointed or hollow points

They are deformed a little. I'm not sure how long hooded mergansers live but most banded duck world records are around 20 to 30 years old and that's the ones that the numbers were still visible on, so the pellets may not be really recent. He could have carried them around for quite some time.

Last edited by Tfd1224 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tfd1224
Spike

Post by Tfd1224 »

bobwhite
Just another Goober
Just another Goober

Post by bobwhite »

That's one thing that makes waterfowl hunting so neat. There is no telling where that duck came from or where or when it got shot with those pellets. It's a true mystery.
WAR EAGLE!!

WGTaxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WGTaxidermist »

Believe it or not I mounted a deer a few year ago that had 2 pellets in his cheek.

Sent from somewhere in the sticks using Tapatalk

Dkhargroves
6 Point

Post by Dkhargroves »

Tfd1224 wrote:

They are deformed a little. I'm not sure how long hooded mergansers live but most banded duck world records are around 18 to 20 years old so they may not be really recent.

I know they are slightly deformed but I'm meaning they aren't really deformed much given the penetration. Weird

Tfd1224
Spike

Post by Tfd1224 »

bobwhite wrote:That's one thing that makes waterfowl hunting so neat. There is no telling where that duck came from or where or when it got shot with those pellets. It's a true mystery.
That's true, that's one of the awesome things about it for me. Wondering where each duck came from and how many times it's made the trip. Google says that the oldest recorded hoodie was 14.6 years old. I'm not sure how often hoodies are banded though.

Tfd1224
Spike

Post by Tfd1224 »

Dkhargroves wrote:
Tfd1224 wrote:

They are deformed a little. I'm not sure how long hooded mergansers live but most banded duck world records are around 18 to 20 years old so they may not be really recent.

I know they are slightly deformed but I'm meaning they aren't really deformed much given the penetration. Weird

I doubt they went all the way through the bird. From what I could see, they just got lodged in the skin.