Aluminum slate call

Ask any and all serious deer questions here
Walktheline
6 Point

Aluminum slate call

Post by Walktheline »

Does the guy that makes Turkey calls on here make any aluminum calls.

Outback
8 Point

Re: Aluminum slate call

Post by Outback »

That's David Leonard and he makes a fine slate call. I've got one and killed a couple of nice Tom's with it. But I'm not sure if he makes aluminum. His ad is posted at the top of the general forum. Give him a shout.

David Leonard
6 Point

Post by David Leonard »

I haven't made any aluminum calls yet. But I am working on some pot calls now. Slate, crystal and copper.... I might check into getting some aluminum.

daniel white
Boss

Post by daniel white »

Get one of David’s calls and you won’t need any other call. 😁😁

Walktheline
6 Point

Post by Walktheline »

David Leonard wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:27 pm
I haven't made any aluminum calls yet. But I am working on some pot calls now. Slate, crystal and copper.... I might check into getting some aluminum.
If you make an aluminum post it up. I would be open to a copper. I’ve got a Son Rise copper call that’s killed several birds but wouldn’t mind another. The copper that Son Rise uses is hard to get any volume out of.

My 2 aluminum calls are old and worn out so that’s why I was asking about aluminum calls.

Outback
8 Point

Post by Outback »

There are advantages to aluminum calls. I've got one that's probably 25,30 years old don't even recall who made it. But I've used it to locate a stubborn old gobbler later in the day. Honestly that's about the best use I found for it, but it has opened the door for me a few times over the years.

Walktheline
6 Point

Post by Walktheline »

I’ve killed more birds with copper than slate or crystal. Aluminum can be way too loud if you don’t have the right striker, and it’s a picky metal.

I’ve got a striker made out of plexi glass that works real good on any metal call. I wish I had 2 or 3 plexi glass strikers in different sizes because they sound awesome on just about any call.

David Leonard
6 Point

Post by David Leonard »

I've got some aluminum on order!

Thread Killer
4 Point

Post by Thread Killer »

I picked up a Persimmon Hill aluminum pot call locally. Has a carbon tipped striker, it’s loud.

Walktheline
6 Point

Post by Walktheline »

Thread Killer wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:25 pm
I picked up a Persimmon Hill aluminum pot call locally. Has a carbon tipped striker, it’s loud.
If you can find a hickory or plexi glass striker it will work a lot better on aluminum than carbon.

Those carbon strikers Yelp way too loud for my liking. I’ve got some copper calls from Son Rise calls that I don’t even use the strikers that came with them because they’re too loud , even on copper.