Indiana Hunt

Ask any and all serious deer questions here
Phil_Army
Button

Indiana Hunt

Post by Phil_Army »

We go to Indiana in early November every year to bow hunt on public land (Hoosier National Forest). We have some non-hunters who go with us and they cook breakfast and dinner for everybody. We rented 2 lodges last year side by side. It was about $240 for the non-resident hunting license and $300 for the food and lodging last year. We do a Bible study every night after dinner. It's a great trip with a great group of guys. If anybody is interested in something like that, send me a message...

Phil_Army
Button

Re: Indiana Hunt

Post by Phil_Army »

Elk Ridge Ranch is where we stay: https://www.facebook.com/ElkRidgeRanchIN/

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Post by Tru-Talker »

Indiana have good size deer? I've always heard Ohio is good but never heard much about Indiana...
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

Phil_Army
Button

Post by Phil_Army »

Tru-Talker wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:44 pm
Indiana have good size deer? I've always heard Ohio is good but never heard much about Indiana...
Yes. There are some Indiana public deer hunter pages on facebook and they kill some big ones. It's an attractive state to hunt for non-residents because anybody can buy a license and hunt, there's no drawing or lottery of any kind. Our group has killed a few 150-160" deer up there over the years. You may not get them inside bow range, but there's a very good chance you'll at least see a good buck if you spend 3-4 days in the woods

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Post by Tru-Talker »

When is the best weeks to be in the woods up there? November? I hunt Southern Illinois every year and the weeks after Halloween up to Thanksgiving is prime.....
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

Phil_Army
Button

Post by Phil_Army »

They start rutting the first or second week of November. We will be there November 3-10 this year.

Wiley
8 Point

Post by Wiley »

An old classmate of mine used to hunt Indiana a lot and he may still. About 25 years ago I was in Don Stevens taxidermy studio when Don was mounting one of the bucks that Crisco killed up there. It had a lot of mass and decent tine length but the neck was enormous. It measured 30" around and Don said he had a good bit of trouble finding a form to mount it on. He may have even modified another form to make it work.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.

Walktheline
6 Point

Post by Walktheline »

I know 3 guys that go spend a week in Indiana Turkey hunting every year , and from how quick they get a bird in the truck it must be loaded with turkeys.

One of them went up there for their late bow season several years ago and killed a huge deer.

They asked me to go up there during Turkey season , but I’m not driving that far to kill an eastern Turkey.