New hunter

Ask any and all serious deer questions here
Taterspop
Button

New hunter

Post by Taterspop »

Don’t want to sound stupid. But new to hunting trying to teach son but it looks like I have a lot to learn. So my question is does anyone ever mistake woodpeckers or any other type of birds for buck grunts. Or am I an idiot or is there actually bucks all around me that I can’t see.

Taterspop
Button

Re: New hunter

Post by Taterspop »

Taterspop wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:43 am
Don’t want to sound stupid. But new to hunting trying to teach son but it looks like I have a lot to learn. So my question is does anyone ever mistake woodpeckers or any other type of birds for buck grunts. Or am I an idiot or is there actually bucks all around me that I can’t see.

bobwhite
Just another Goober
Just another Goober

Post by bobwhite »

Welcome to the site Taterspop! I don't think that I've ever mistaken a woodpecker for a buck grunting but that being said I have mistaken a far off woodpecker for a turkey gobbling before. But then again I don't hear so well anymore😀
WAR EAGLE!!

Eddie Maxwell
8 Point

Post by Eddie Maxwell »

Welcome Tater,

You'll find that there are all kinds of sounds in the woods when you get still and pay attention more. Armadillos, for example, will drive you nuts rattling leaves around ... or was that a squirrel?

Learn not to react to every sound you hear until you've verified it's really a deer. Just continue to be still and pay attention without getting "buck fever" all the time. Hunters call the rush of adrenalin they get when they're waiting for a shot "buck fever". You don't want to sit there all day getting wound up at every little sound or movement. Try to stay calm and think straight. Otherwise, those sounds will trick your brain into thinking it's all kinds of stuff.

Sounds like you've already determined that the noise you heard was a woodpecker when your brain was telling you it was a buck grunting. That's not stupid. It's an example of how you need to react while you're staying calm and waiting for further verification you've heard a deer. Use your eyes and ears to keep your brain from tricking you. It helps break up the monotony while you're hunting to get a little excited now and then over something you've heard.

Good hunting. Stay safe.

Eddie

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Post by Tru-Talker »

Depending on what type of tree he is hammering down on...I could see it remotely sounding like a grunt in the distance....
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

daniel white
Boss

Post by daniel white »

Tru-Talker wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:55 am
Depending on what type of tree he is hammering down on...I could see it remotely sounding like a grunt in the distance....

Taterspop
Button

Post by Taterspop »

Thanks guys makes a lot of sense. Appreciate the info. I’ve always lived in Alabama but my pops didn’t even fish. So I took up hunting very late in life cause I wanted my boy to have an opportunity I didn’t and we both love it. So thanks again.

Outback
8 Point

Post by Outback »

Tru-Talker wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:55 am
I nearly jumped out of a stand one morning because it sounded just like an AK47.
Stupid peckerwood was hammering on a dead tree and he got tone and rhythm perfect. 😳

Eddie Maxwell
8 Point

Post by Eddie Maxwell »

T Pop there's a lot of laws and rules to learn about hunting these days, and it can get expensive fast if you get caught in the bureaucratic mumbo jumbo mess.

You may as well start getting familiar with them now. It will probably cause you the shake your head in disgust, but that's the nature of things in this modern world.

The commissioner is required by law to furnish you and Tater a pamphlet containing all the laws and rules, but he has been held to be above the law by all those I have filed complaints with when he has refused to give me a copy.

Here's how he chooses to publish them instead of together in pamphlet form like the law requires him to:

*************************************************************************************

Hunting Laws link:

https://www.outdooralabama.com/sites/de ... 20Only.pdf

law.PNG

Hunting Rules link:

https://www.outdooralabama.com/sites/de ... 20BOOK.pdf

regs.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wiley
8 Point

Post by Wiley »

Welcome to the site. My advice is to keep taking the boys out, keep watching/listening and learning and it will come together. What part of the state are you in and how old are the boys? Some of us might be able to partner up with you for some pointers.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.

Eclipse829
Button

Post by Eclipse829 »

When you start seeing deer regularly, especially old long nosed does, you'll wonder how a squirrel, bird, or anything making noise could have been mistaken for a deer? Sometimes the seem to pop right up out of the ground. Good luck! Keep at it.