Buck travel data

Ask any and all serious deer questions here
Fullthrottle
Button

Buck travel data

Post by Fullthrottle »

Ok this isn't much but I thought it was interesting to see how this buck got around.

Recently I had a close call with a buck on our farm. Knew he was a good buck. But felt like he needed another year after the sighting and seeing him up close and personal. Very hard to tell by camera pictures.
I went back to the same spot I had seen him Hopeing to get another look and maybe catch another buck coming up the trail. But has luck would have it I heard a gun shot just past the property line. I text my neighboring property owner and ask if he shot and of coarse he did. It was the buck I had seen.

Well last night and today a called around to other property owners around there to see if they had pics of him. Here are the results

The red dot is where he was killed
Yellow dots are all the places where I got picture or video of him.
Blue dots are neighboring property owners that had pictures
The far right blue dot is where my cousin had pics of him in velvet.but only on hard horn pic in October not another pic since. No other properties had velvet pics

Now there's several property that has no hunting at all around there and a few that we didn't have cameras on. Wish I had more infoImagehttps://vimeo.com/153648972

Fullthrottle
Button

Re: Buck travel data

Post by Fullthrottle »

Slingshot
Button

Post by Slingshot »

That's pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Post by Tru-Talker »

Very cool and good information to have....
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

Marshmud991
Spike

Post by Marshmud991 »

image.jpg
That is cool. Last year I saw a good buck chasing a doe on the Far East end of our property couldn't get a shot at him. 6 days later my buddy killed the same buck on the far west end if our property. It was about 2 miles from where I saw him. I would live to know how much ground that deer would cover while on his travel route. Never got him on any cameras we had out.
This is the buck. Easy to tell it was the same one I saw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hogwild
Button

Post by Hogwild »

Good Stuff, man!

BSK
Button

Post by BSK »

Very cool information!

Every buck is an individual. Some travel great distance and some are real homebodies. I've seen GPS collar data showing bucks that don't leave 100 acres in a year, and bucks that cover 18,000+ acres per year.

Central71
Button

Post by Central71 »

I love data and information like this. Really makes you think.
For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have ever lasting life. John 3:16

quailman
Spike

Post by quailman »

Good stuff man!
My luck has been so bad lately, it could be raining pu$$ies and I'd catch one with a d1ck broke off in it.

sdw
8 Point

Post by sdw »

That's pretty impressive data collection. Good job!

ikillbux
Button

Post by ikillbux »

BSK wrote:Very cool information!

Every buck is an individual. Some travel great distance and some are real homebodies. I've seen GPS collar data showing bucks that don't leave 100 acres in a year, and bucks that cover 18,000+ acres per year.
Would you say the majority do one or the other? I don't have many experiences with a bucks that stay close, but I can think of countless bucks (and stories of bucks) that roam like Forrest Gump running across America.
Nuttier than a squirrel turd 8-)

BSK
Button

Post by BSK »

ikillbux wrote:
BSK wrote:Very cool information!

Would you say the majority do one or the other? I don't have many experiences with a bucks that stay close, but I can think of countless bucks (and stories of bucks) that roam like Forrest Gump running across America.
No, I really think each buck is an individual, and with enough bucks studied you would see a little of everything. As I tell hunters all the time, I don't like giving "average" home-range size data because it's meaningless when looking at an individual buck. Few bucks have ranges near the average.