Basket rack bucks

Ask any and all serious deer questions here
Yellow Creek

Basket rack bucks

Post by Yellow Creek »

Am I the only one that still kills small basket racked bucks? I see everyone with these nice racked bucks and I think that is great, but that ain't what's getting killed on my small slice of heaven.

Fullthrottle
Button

Re: Basket rack bucks

Post by Fullthrottle »

Just walk in any deer processing There is usually a pile of deer heads with small racks

Morris
"Why is that damn dumpster beeping"

Post by Morris »

Bamasteeler shoots everyone he sees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Post by Tru-Talker »

I just have no reason to shoot a small rack...personally... I usually killl enuff does with the bow for meat.... And hope to get a deer or two for the wall each year....
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

Yellow Creek

Post by Yellow Creek »

I would love to only kill big mature bucks. It seems as if I saw more bucks than does this year, and they eat just as good. The first buck I killed was a four point and it was old and weighed 167 lbs. The other two had more points but were not as near large as the four point. I try to put at least three deer in the freezer every year, was fortunate to put four in the freezer this year.

Turkey_neck
Has anyone heard my briefcase?

Post by Turkey_neck »

If it makes you happy kill it. If you hunt places where every deer that walks out in daylight is shot it's hard to kill a wall hanger but every 4-5 years. I like to get excited and kill one every once in a while still. Some will pass up a buck I'd put on the wall but everyone is different.
I would walk over a naked woman to get to a gobbling turkey. Ben Rodgers lee

daniel white
Boss

Post by daniel white »

At my house, I don't and other places that don't want them shot I don't. BUT, Ill shoot the piss out of a spike up in some of the places I hunt. Only reason I don't on my place is the numbers arent there, like they was 10 years ago, when it was a buck a day. Hell, we killed big bucks and small bucks every year, no does though... Had piles of deer. 3 bucks a year came into affect, we killed piles of does, and let all bucks walk. Now we have no deer... Go figure..

sdw
8 Point

Post by sdw »

You aren't the only one, I'm sure of that. Hard to find anything big at one of the clubs I'm in. But we did have a couple of nice 8's and a real nice 6. As far as I know they lived. Only 3 deer killed that I know of. 2 spikes and a doe. I'll know what survived soon as I'll be doing a good camera survey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigt
Button

Post by bigt »

Your definitely not the only one.....it wasn't till in recent years that I started letting the smaller rack bucks walk and holding out for mature bucks. It's funny that the deer density had to get so low that I started to just enjoy seeing a deer before I learned trigger control on those young bucks lol. I just took them for granted when we had a ton of deer running around.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

BrentM
Button

Post by BrentM »

I'd rather just watch them. Just my opinion, but they don't taste nearly as good as a doe to me.
Far as bucks go, I'm a trophy hunter but not like some folks. If he's older than 4 1/2 he's a trophy to me no matter what kind of headgear he's got.

BSK
Button

Post by BSK »

Yellow Creek wrote:Am I the only one that still kills small basket racked bucks? I see everyone with these nice racked bucks and I think that is great, but that ain't what's getting killed on my small slice of heaven.
I guess it depends on what you consider "small basket racked bucks." The only buck size limit we have on the property I hunt is "no yearlings," except for new hunters. New hunters can kill the first antlered buck they see. But after that, they join the rest of us in the no yearling rule. So any buck 2 1/2 or older is fair game, and some of the 2 1/2 year-olds can be "small" relative to what a mature buck in the area can grow. I spent years as a mature buck hunter, and was successful at it. However, I found I didn't enjoy the experience. It took the fun out of hunting. Now, I'll kill the first decent (and legal for the property--2 1/2+) buck I see, even though much larger bucks exist. Maybe the first decent buck I see is an 80-class 2 1/2 year-old. Maybe it's a 130 mature buck. Doesn't matter to me. I'm thrilled with either. So relative to what's available, yes I'll shoot a smaller-antlered buck because I enjoy the experience.