Dry aging beef steaks

All your cooking and food needs, go here..
Dkhargroves
6 Point

Dry aging beef steaks

Post by Dkhargroves »

Here's a short and sweet write up on dry aging your own beef at home and saving tons of money. Go to your local butcher and buy you a whole rib roast (for ribeye steaks) similar to this:
Portion it or dry age the whole thing. Keep in mind you will lose around 50% of your meat to dry aging but I promise it's well worth the loss.
Take you a shallow dish/pan or bowl depending on the size of meat you are dry aging and place sea salt or rock salt in the bottom but not so much it touches your meat. Suspend meat above salt on a rack or bamboo skewers and place in your fridge at 34-38 degrees with low humidity for 30-50 days. The meat will harden and quite frankly get pretty funky looking past 30 days but it's ok, you will trim all this off before cutting your steaks.
The idea behind this is to concentrate the beef flavor and tenderize the meat. That funkiness you have on the meat after 30 days is good bacteria breaking down the muscle tissue in the meat. I'll update this thread eventually with more informative pictures as well as what the meat should look like after so many days.

It will help with odor by putting an open box of baking soda in fridge. You can lower the humidity as well with silica gel packs (the kind you put with stored ammo and in your gun safes) shout at me with any questions. Glad to help fellow bama huntin members save money and turn decent usda choice steaks into some REALLY good steaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudslinger
Button

Re: Dry aging beef steaks

Post by Mudslinger »

Gonna give it a whirl thanks for the info!

Travis
Site Admin

Post by Travis »

I'm trying this. If I get a bacterial infection your ass is banned[emoji23]

Roll Tide

sdw
8 Point

Post by sdw »

When I get some self restraint I will try it too. I think about the second or third time of looking at it I'd have to throw it on the grill. Maybe I'll get a small fridge for dry aging. Out of sight out of mind.

PEA_RIDGE
THE PROPHET

Post by PEA_RIDGE »

Travis wrote:I'm trying this. If I get a bacterial infection your ass is banned[emoji23]

For ever and ever[emoji123]

Sent from behind you on my Galaxy S6 Active
Triple Toe Assassins, Where Pellets Meet Peckers

"A turkey's brain development exceeds that of nearly all vice-presidents." - TOM KELLY

The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness. - TOM KELLY

Big AL 76
Button

Post by Big AL 76 »

Travis wrote:I'm trying this. If I get a bacterial infection your ass is banned[emoji23]

I've eaten worse...I just can't remember her name... :D

For real I may have to try this the wife loves steak...realistically what temp does a fridge go down to?I assume its the coldest setting or do I need one of them thermometer thingy's?
It's all Good!!

Dkhargroves
6 Point

Post by Dkhargroves »

My coldest setting freezes everything on bottom shelf after about 3 days so I'm going to say it's right at 32 as the coldest

Dkhargroves
6 Point

Post by Dkhargroves »

Just don't eat the crust chit you posed to cut off n you will be good lol

mirage243
Buckwheat

Post by mirage243 »

If you have a dorm type refrigerator it works real well, you can also place a small desk fan in there and cut a slot in the door seal to run the cord out of. The fan helps circulate the air around it, and with it being in a small fridge it does't transfer the smell to your other foods and the meat doesn't pick up odors from the other foods in your fridge. I have found that 42 days is the perfect length of time to age. Don't be tempted to check it a lot, just put it in there and forget about it. Best shit you will ever put in your mouth.
I was young and bashful back then. . . . . . . . . .Today,...I'd just knock on her door,..hand her the crab dope, and say, "Rub summa this on ya booger. I'll be back day after tomorrow"