Been a great year already.

Gobble.. Gobble..
Turkey_neck
Has anyone heard my briefcase?

Been a great year already.

Post by Turkey_neck »

Well this has started off as a great year even though I've only just killed my first one of the year. Youth weekend didn't work out for Stephen so last weekend he was back up to bat. Due to the weather and staying up late we didn't get up for the morn hunt sat. Around lunch we ran to the club under a scouting mission for Sunday and found several fresh gob tracks. Well the wife decided to go with us Sunday morn and we got to our first spot about gobbling time. The only birds we heard were way off the property and after a short time of trying to strike one we went to plan b. We checked a few spots and heard nothing so we ran to our big field and found gob tracks in the rd that were fresh. We sat in the field for 45 min or so calling every once in a while but had no luck. We walked to the end of the rd calling but never heard anything. We decided to call it and were on our way back to the truck when we heard the bird gobble in the field we called in as we got closer. After setting Stephen up in a not so ideal spot on the rd but only real option we were in business with this bird being hot. After listening to him gobble and drum the whole way to us. Stephen finally missed at 15 yds after watching the bird strut to us and put on a show. Yesterday morn young Morris met up with me and we went to there club in Rockford. After covering a mile or so we finally got to the birds that were gobbling. Well it was one of those oh shit hunts. We got to a knoll and when I checked the bird he blew our hats off and we had to scramble to get setup in a un ideal spot. After a few min we watched the bird strut across the hill above us about 45 yds. I don't feel comfortable shooting at that distance with my gun and was unsure if Kaleb's gun could make the shot we let him walk off. Well some how he got behind us on the power line and spooked after he left. We had heard a bird further back and were going to go to him now. Well when I checked him he was less than a hundred yds and coming fast. We ran down the hill and got where when he came over the hill he was in range. I'll be damned if that bird didn't come in above us. We watched him strut down the hill a ways and got to about 50 yds and saw something he didn't like. So we got schooled by two long beards in 20 min within 50 yds. This morn I woke up at 6:25 and poked my head out the back door. After a few min of my tame turkey gobbling I heard a bird gobble close to one of my plots. I threw my stuff on and took off. A neighbor heard the bird too and I'm not sure they didn't cross the line setting up on him. He didn't gobble a ton but I knew I was in a good spot to kill him. After calling to him every once in a while he flew down about 7:15. I could hear him drumming but was set up where I couldn't see him and he couldn't see me. Since I was in 10' pines and sage grass I decided to cup my call making it sound like the hen was in the l leg of my field to draw him buy. Finally I hear that real loud pfft doooom and know he's in range but I still can't see him. A few seconds later I see that bright white head through the grass and he walks to his death at 15 yds. He's not the big bird that I want to kill here he was roosted behind this bird and only gobbled a few times. But this is the first bird I've killed on my own property in the 9 years I've owned it. So it was definitely a special hunt. Sorry for the long post but just had to tell y'all bout my season so far. Today's bird 10 5/8" beard 1" sharp spurs.Image
I would walk over a naked woman to get to a gobbling turkey. Ben Rodgers lee

WGTaxidermist
Site Admin

Re: Been a great year already.

Post by WGTaxidermist »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing and congrats on a great bird!

Sent from somewhere in the sticks using Tapatalk

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Post by Tru-Talker »

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

sdw
8 Point

Post by sdw »

Great job Turkey_Neck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PEA_RIDGE
THE PROPHET

Post by PEA_RIDGE »

HECK YA. CONGRATS BRADLEY
Triple Toe Assassins, Where Pellets Meet Peckers

"A turkey's brain development exceeds that of nearly all vice-presidents." - TOM KELLY

The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness. - TOM KELLY

JNall
4 Point

Post by JNall »

I'll get to go one day.
I got banned!