Cant be on time then get here when you can gobbler

Gobble.. Gobble..
David Leonard
6 Point

Cant be on time then get here when you can gobbler

Post by David Leonard »

I got to my spot this morning and heard everything except a turkey. So I pulled some cards and scanned through them and had one gobbler pic. Then I remembered seeing some strut marks in the sand last week in this little field. So I went to the truck and got a couple of dekes and put them out! The hen is a DSD that I call Henrietta! The gobbler is just a fan with a head off an old mounted strutter that I repainted. I built sort of a napkin holder for it that it fits in. I call him Slim Jim!
I put them out and began to wait! I would call every thirty minutes or so. After about an hour, A lone hen came by and checked everything out. She looked Slim Jim and Henrietta up and down, but didn't seem too impressed, and didn't stay long. But she got me on alert and thinking it wont be long now!
After about thirty minutes or so I heard something close but couldn't see anything....Then I looked down by my foot and saw something moving towards me! It was A big black snake!!! Oh crap!!! Thankfully he saw me jerk and went on by! WHEW
Well the sun kept getting higher and hotter, and I could not hold my eyes open...You guessed it, I took A nap. I don't know for how long but when I woke up, I think to myself, I need to hit the call! So I hit the blood wood slate and laid it down. After about A minute I heard A gobble real close! I got my gun up slowly and took the safety off! Then I saw him coming around the corner. When he saw Henrietta and Slim Jim he broke into strut! He was BEAUTIFUL! He strutted closer and turned toward the decoys, looking hard! When he stretched his old head up I shot him in the face! WOW what A hunt! I shot him at twelve fifteen!
He reminded me of my old boss man that used to say "if you cant get here on time, then get here when you can" LOL
He is A pretty good gobbler too!
18 1/2 pounds
11 7/8 beard
1 1/4 and 1 1/8 spurs
Sorry so long but just wanted to share the hunt with you guys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Leonard
6 Point

Re: Cant be on time then get here when you can gobbler

Post by David Leonard »

Thanks for looking and reading!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bobwhite
Just another Goober
Just another Goober

Post by bobwhite »

That's awsome right there my friend....I really enjoy reading about your hunts...thanks for sharing them with us.....and congrats on another fine bird. Thumbs up
WAR EAGLE!!

Slayinbucks24/7
Button

Post by Slayinbucks24/7 »

That's awesome man. I'm gonna have to get you to call me one of these old Tom's up some day soon. Awesome bird and story DL!!! Know Mickey's smiling down on you

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Post by Tru-Talker »

Hell yeah DL!!! Killem all!! You got their number this year.....
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

David Leonard
6 Point

Post by David Leonard »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I'm Just getting lucky is all!
I lost A good friend this week, Mickey Ramsay was a true friend... I thought about him all week, especially today. He was on top of my contact list, and I would always call him on the way home after A hunt or go by to visit... I'm going to miss that old fella!
RIP Mickey.

Morris
"Why is that damn dumpster beeping"

Post by Morris »

Congrats! Be glad the snake didnt come back to nap with you.

sdw
8 Point

Post by sdw »

That's a great story and bird DL! Sorry for your loss of your friend