painting a gun

Gobble.. Gobble..
KBush
Button

painting a gun

Post by KBush »

I want to eventually get my little 20 ga dipped, but will have to bet by with paint for now. Any tips for a durable paint job? Anything hold up better than Krylon?

would building a plywood "oven" to cure the paint make it harder?

BOFF
Button

Re: painting a gun

Post by BOFF »

I cut and copied when I did mine and posted about it:

I got tired of the M2 being all back, so I did this, last week. It's still drying. I prepped with acetone. Used flat paint in below colors, and natural stencils. Taped around the EoTech lenses. Originally I painted the pistol grip and rubber butt pad. They remained sticky after about 2 hours of drying, so I cleaned them off with acetone, left the paint streaks, and taped the grip and butt pad up to finish painting.

I layered paint with desert tan first, coating the whole gun in this color. Allowed to dry.
Then earth brown,sprayed over the natural stencils. Allowed to dry.
Then olive drab sprayed over stencils.

I tried flat black, and gray, and actually redid the side again with the first three colors again, as I didn't like it with black and grey.

Here are the original pics of the gun, etc.

Overall cost was around $15.00 for 3 cans of paint. I already had the acetone, tape, etc.

God Bless,
David B.

bowtarist
Have Banana, Will Swallow
Have Banana, Will Swallow

Post by bowtarist »

I painted my old stoeger m2000 a couple years ago. Everytime I clean it, the cleaner eats away at the paint and leaves a sticky residue behind.

MrClif
Button

Post by MrClif »

Boff what kind of patterns you getting out of short barreled Benelli's? My buddy has one jus like yours and I have a Tactical Vinci with a 18.5" barrel struggling to get numbers close to what I'd like. Shot a bunch of chokes and factory still out shines any of them so far.

David Leonard
6 Point

Post by David Leonard »

Good job! It looks good to me!

GomerPyle
Button

Post by GomerPyle »

I painted a rifle a couple seasons ago. It hasn't been abused like a turkey gun, but it's held up well so far. Kryon fusion paint. sprayed the entire thing khaki. did multiple VERY LIGHT coats. then just did some random "tiger stripes" with the green. For the brown, I sprayed the brown paint into a bowl, then used one of those cheap foam brushes that have the wedge shape to them. I used a razor knife to cut the wedge off and make it flat, then I just picked out chunks of it with my fingers so that when I dabbed the paint on, it wouldn't be a perfect rectangle. once everything was done and I was satisfied, I stood WAY back from it and "dusted" the entire thing with a SUPER LIGHT coating of tan, just to dull it up a little.

this is what it looked like before (not my pic, but same gun) - Remington 710

and the "After"

MrClif
Button

Post by MrClif »

20160101_165909.jpg
My 308 ar I did with some string and rattle can
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.