TSS Trap Build How To

Gobble.. Gobble..
BOFF
Button

TSS Trap Build How To

Post by BOFF »

Alright a quicky post as asked by several. It can be done cheaper, but this is what I had on hand lumber wise

What is needed.

All treated lumber:

1 10ft 2x10" cut in half.
1 8ft 2x6" cut in half
2 8ft 2x4" cut in half
1 8ft 1x6" cut per inside measurement of trap
1 8ft 1x4" cut per inside measurement of trap
1 16ft 2x2" cut to four 4 ft pieces
1 4x3 20ga. sheet metal
4 carpet runners from Lowes cut to 38" each (comes in 3 ft width)
1 tube of liquid nails
I used 2" and 3" deck screws

Cut notch out of top of 2x10" boards to allow the four 2x2"s with the carpet runners attached to rest on top.

Attach 2x6s" to 2x10s" for the legs.

Attach two 2x4s" across the bottom of the 2x10s" for support.

Place 3x4 20ga sheet metal with 4ft section as width placed just below the notches cut out of 2x10s. No need to have sheet metal behind the four 2x2s". It just needs to be behind the carpet runners.

The sheet metal will bow, so I drilled in the four corners of the metal, holes which would line up with the edge of the 2x10s. Screw a deck screw in each corner and then with a 2x4, place it across the top of the metal to square the frame up. (It does better to have the Trap standing to keep the metal from bowing. Place another 2x4" at the bottom of the metal. Drill holes in the metal and screw into the top and bottom 2x4s from the inside of the trap, and drill holes on backside of metal to drill into the 2x10s.

I used a staple gun and attached the carpet runners to the 2x2"s. I placed 2 on the far right side, and 2 on the far left side. Alternate each, ie. far right, far left, far right, far left.

Place carpet runners in the slot, and measure across the frame to get the width of your trough for the 1x6s". Place in a V to catch the shot. I also added a 1x4" on the top of the outer 1x6 to make a taller lip. Though difficult, I screwed the deck screws from outside the 2x10s into the side of the 1x6's. Just go slow and watch for the head of the screw coming through the wood to make sure it is aligned to enter the 1x6s.

Use the liquid nails to close in the gaps of the v bottom, and where the sheet metal makes contact with the inner 2x10s

Thickness of the mats compared to a #9 TSS shot.

There are 4 mats. Two per side, one per 2x2.

I know I didn't cover all the details, but hopefully this will suffice.

God Bless,
David B.

BOFF
Button

Re: TSS Trap Results of Shot Recovered

Post by BOFF »

Here are the results:

A. I was a little disappointed at the damage done to the Lowes carpet runner, as it tore in different shapes with the TSS shot. Tss #9 shot gathered with torn carpet runner pieces.

B. I really only need 3 carpet runners as some shot was stuck in the 3rd runner, and some was stuck in the 4th runner.
Thickness of carpet runner compared to #9 TSS shot

Third carpet runner with stuck TSS shot

C. Very little dents in the 20 ga. metal plate

D. I recovered without picking the shot out of the carpet runners 1.330 oz of shot out of the 1.623 oz of shot in the shell, for 81.9% recovery.
I will pick out all the shot from the carpet runners before shooting again and post the results. See next post for total findings

E. Shot with a little coating of rubber on it.

God Bless,
David B.
Last edited by BOFF on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BOFF
Button

Re: TSS Trap Build How To

Post by BOFF »

Alright, I recovered .166 more ounces of shot from the mats. For a total of 1.496 ounces of shot out of 1.623 ounces.
That's 92.17% recovery of TSS!!

Shot recovered from 2nd shot of 1.625 ounces was 1.5266 ounces.
That's a 93.94% recovery.

Ok. shot recovered from third shot of 1.598 ounces was 1.4882 ounces.
That's a 93.12% recovery.

God Bless,
David B.

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Post by Tru-Talker »

How many shots can the runner's withstand before needing replacement?
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

BOFF
Button

Post by BOFF »

Tru-Talker wrote:How many shots can the runner's withstand before needing replacement?
I haven't shot that many times, as I got in the TSS "recovery" game late last season for my daughter to shoot a Remmy 1100 20ga. lightweight.

The outdoor weather and sun has done a lot of damage as well.

God Bless,
David B.

daniel white
Boss

Post by daniel white »

Thats neat man.. :thumbup: