Sighting in a Turkey Scope

Gobble.. Gobble..
BOFF
Button

Sighting in a Turkey Scope

Post by BOFF »

After having the scope mounted on your turkey gun, you have to sight it in. Many ways of doing this, but this is how I've done it through the years.

Things you will need:

1. Sandbags/shooting rest. This is a must, as you will need the gun to remain still while you adjust the windage and elevation of the scope
2. Patterning paper, bought usually at a local hardware store, called contractor's paper in 35" width.
3. Some sort of holder for your patten paper. I use large cardboard wedged between to four T post, two per side.
4. 2 3/4" low brass shells and your turkey shells you plan to shoot during season
5. Sharpie marker and/or masking tape.
6. Turkey target (not necessary if you can draw well)
7. Hearing protectors

First set up at 15 yards from your target.

Shoot at mark/tape on target.

Now, here is where you HAVE to keep the gun still without moving it, unless you want to have to shoot several times.

Place the gun in the sandbags/shooting rest, to where the retical of the scope is on the target you just shot (Point of Aim or POA), and is not needing any help from you to stay on target. If you look real closely, you can see the red dot on the masking tape in the below picture, where I was originally aiming.

Now, with out moving the gun, adjust the elevation of the scope to where the shot/hole is in the target (the point of impact or POI)

Without moving the gun, adjust the windage of the scope to where the target hole is.

Shoot again at a new target, and see where you POI is in location to your POA.

A little off, so I adjust it again using the above steps.

Steady in the bags, retical on the original target/POA.

Adjust the windage of the scope, as this was basically all that was off target.

Shoot again at different target.

Was basically on, a little high, but we are shooting at 15 yards, so I left it at that.

Moved the target to 40 yards now, and added new patterning paper.

Add a tape square, or color a good sized 2" dot you can see on the center of the pattering paper, and shot at it, still with low brass shells.

I was fairly happy with the shot pattern around where I was aiming, so I didn't adjust the scope, as I still have to shoot a turkey shell at 40 yards. So shoot a turkey shell at a turkey target at 40 yards, with new patterning paper.

This is a Nitro shell out of the SBE at 40 yards. (I poked a sharpie marker in each hole to count, and make it show up better for the camera.)

I need to change my POI up, as the pattern was low. I put a square of tape on the center of the turkey's neck where I was aiming, and a square of tape where the pattern center was on the paper.

I adjusted my scope, just like the first two adjustments, and shot again at a new turkey target, and patterning paper, at 40 yards.

Back of target, with a quarter where I was aiming (the middle of the turkey's neck).

It isn't going to get much better than the above, so I left it alone, and it is ready to hunt!!

Remember though, you have to shoot your gun again at 15, 25, and 30 yards if you are going to be positive of where your turkey shells will hit in comparison to your point of aim. At 15 yards, with a turkey choke, your pattern is going to be tight and not always where your POA was.

Hope this may help some of you. Stay safe!!

God Bless,
David B.

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Re: Sighting in a Turkey Scope

Post by Tru-Talker »

Good info BOFF.... I use a scope on mine but didn't do it that way.... Using a scope has helped me over the years....
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

Black Hawk
Button

Post by Black Hawk »

BOFF wrote:After having the scope mounted on your turkey gun, you have to sight it in. Many ways of doing this, but this is how I've done it through the years. I put a Simmons Pro Diamond on my Moss berg 835, the sightin in was no fun, But knew it had to be done.

Things you will need:

1. Sandbags/shooting rest. This is a must, as you will need the gun to remain still while you adjust the windage and elevation of the scope
2. Patterning paper, bought usually at a local hardware store, called contractor's paper in 35" width.
3. Some sort of holder for your patten paper. I use large cardboard wedged between to four T post, two per side.
4. 2 3/4" low brass shells and your turkey shells you plan to shoot during season
5. Sharpie marker and/or masking tape.
6. Turkey target (not necessary if you can draw well)
7. Hearing protectors

First set up at 15 yards from your target.

Shoot at mark/tape on target.

Now, here is where you HAVE to keep the gun still without moving it, unless you want to have to shoot several times.

Place the gun in the sandbags/shooting rest, to where the retical of the scope is on the target you just shot (Point of Aim or POA), and is not needing any help from you to stay on target. If you look real closely, you can see the red dot on the masking tape in the below picture, where I was originally aiming.

Now, with out moving the gun, adjust the elevation of the scope to where the shot/hole is in the target (the point of impact or POI)

Without moving the gun, adjust the windage of the scope to where the target hole is.

Shoot again at a new target, and see where you POI is in location to your POA.

A little off, so I adjust it again using the above steps.

Steady in the bags, retical on the original target/POA.

Adjust the windage of the scope, as this was basically all that was off target.

Shoot again at different target.

Was basically on, a little high, but we are shooting at 15 yards, so I left it at that.

Moved the target to 40 yards now, and added new patterning paper.

Add a tape square, or color a good sized 2" dot you can see on the center of the pattering paper, and shot at it, still with low brass shells.

I was fairly happy with the shot pattern around where I was aiming, so I didn't adjust the scope, as I still have to shoot a turkey shell at 40 yards. So shoot a turkey shell at a turkey target at 40 yards, with new patterning paper.

This is a Nitro shell out of the SBE at 40 yards. (I poked a sharpie marker in each hole to count, and make it show up better for the camera.)

I need to change my POI up, as the pattern was low. I put a square of tape on the center of the turkey's neck where I was aiming, and a square of tape where the pattern center was on the paper.

I adjusted my scope, just like the first two adjustments, and shot again at a new turkey target, and patterning paper, at 40 yards.

Back of target, with a quarter where I was aiming (the middle of the turkey's neck).

It isn't going to get much better than the above, so I left it alone, and it is ready to hunt!!

Remember though, you have to shoot your gun again at 15, 25, and 30 yards if you are going to be positive of where your turkey shells will hit in comparison to your point of aim. At 15 yards, with a turkey choke, your pattern is going to be tight and not always where your POA was.

Hope this may help some of you. Stay safe!!

God Bless,
David B.

BOFF
Button

Post by BOFF »

Why quote such long post to write nothing? Maybe I missed it?

God Bless,
David B.

daniel white
Boss

Post by daniel white »

BOFF wrote:Why quote such long post to write nothing? Maybe I missed it?

God Bless,
David B.
No, no you didn't.. :roll:

That is about the best way to do it, I do about the same thing with Buckshot, with different loads, except, i just shoot off the bead.

Johnal3
Button

Post by Johnal3 »

Thanks BOFF! I shoot with a scope too and sight mine in the exact same way. This and the trap are great info!
I'll refrain from quoting those though. :D

BOFF
Button

Post by BOFF »

I found it hidden in the first part of the quote.

Yep, different guns/beads and loads shot, require different aiming. I have had a few where the bead had to hide the target. Never much cared for those.

God Bless,
David B.

Johnal3
Button

Post by Johnal3 »

If/when I don't kill one because of a scope, there will be a bunch more that are dead because I DID have a scope. I love mine and will continue to use one.

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Post by Tru-Talker »

Johnal3 wrote:If/when I don't kill one because of a scope, there will be a bunch more that are dead because I DID have a scope. I love mine and will continue to use one.
Great way of putting it.... Couldn't agree more....
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius