Ethenol or Non-Ethenol ?

Set your drag tight, and tell us some fishing stories
RICKY BOBBY
Button

Ethenol or Non-Ethenol ?

Post by RICKY BOBBY »

For you guys running boats does it matter if you use Ethenol or Non-Ethenol in a 60 HP Merc 4 stroke ?

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Re: Ethenol or Non-Ethenol ?

Post by Tru-Talker »

I run both or whatever is convenient during the fishing season... It don't matter as long as you run it enuff..... When I'm done fishing for the year.... I run it as close to empty as I can get then put at least half a tank of non-ethanol in both tanks.... Haven't had a problem in 6 years running the same motor....it's fired right up after sitting for 2-3 months during the winter.... But I also keep it in the garage in the off season.....
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

RICKY BOBBY
Button

Post by RICKY BOBBY »

Thanks !

Travis
Site Admin

Post by Travis »

I ran ethanol thru my 08 Merc 225 several times. It ate the fuel line up. The inside of the bubble was mush and what made it out of the bubble got into the Fuel filter and clogged it. I DO NOT run ethanol in anything but my trucks and cars anymore. I would rather pay a few cents more per gallon than have to replace all kinds of stuff.
Roll Tide

RICKY BOBBY
Button

Post by RICKY BOBBY »

Travis wrote:I ran ethanol thru my 08 Merc 225 several times. It ate the fuel line up. The inside of the bubble was mush and what made it out of the bubble got into the Fuel filter and clogged it. I DO NOT run ethanol in anything but my trucks and cars anymore. I would rather pay a few cents more per gallon than have to replace all kinds of stuff.
All I know is after looking at a Pontoon a certified Merc mechanic said do not use Ethanol (I dont know much about boats, so let me mention that). My buddy who was with me does. The mechanic then said if you do use Ethanol better put some stabil in it....but you really need to run non-ethanol. When we left my buddy said I have never used non-ethanol with no problems. Appreciate the comment.

Travis
Site Admin

Post by Travis »

Send mirage a message and ask him his opinion. That boy knows his stuff. Some of the newer outboards may be more tolerant, but every tech Ive talked to had the same opinion as the one you had a discussion with.

Where you looking at pontoons? New or used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll Tide

RICKY BOBBY
Button

Post by RICKY BOBBY »

Travis wrote:Send mirage a message and ask him his opinion. That boy knows his stuff. Some of the newer outboards may be more tolerant, but every tech Ive talked to had the same opinion as the one you had a discussion with.

Where you looking at pontoons? New or used?

I''ll do that. Used Toon, and a guy a Royal Marine in Cropwell has one I like. The guys name is Frank.

mirage243
Buckwheat

Post by mirage243 »

Everyone that owns a boat should ONLY use ethanol fuel, do NOT use non ethanol fuel. I need to retire in a few years and I have two daughters in college. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE on use Ethanol, buy extra ethanol and add it to your fuel if you can. :D
I was young and bashful back then. . . . . . . . . .Today,...I'd just knock on her door,..hand her the crab dope, and say, "Rub summa this on ya booger. I'll be back day after tomorrow"

RICKY BOBBY
Button

Post by RICKY BOBBY »

Got your PM Mirage. Thanks for the insight.

RICKY BOBBY
Button

Post by RICKY BOBBY »

Mirage after reading your PM and reading your comment you had RICKY confused. Damn your crazy son ! We would get along as long as you dont hit on my Hot Wife !

TexasNative
Button

Post by TexasNative »

Non-Ethanol. I am so glad Alabama has this option. When I lived in Texas, I had to drive to Oklahoma if I wanted non-ethanol gas. It is amazing the amount of water this stuff absorbs during cold weather. If you run ethanol, at least install a fuel/water separator on your boat.

Tfd1224
Spike

Post by Tfd1224 »

IF I run ethanol in my boats I treat it with the marine ethanol treatment. I don't know if it really does anything but it helps me sleep at night and I haven't had any problems.