Need an answer on another boat

Set your drag tight, and tell us some fishing stories
RICKY BOBBY HERE
Button

Need an answer on another boat

Post by RICKY BOBBY HERE »

Tell what you think. Being we come down to the gulf about 2-3 times a year i was just thinking today while down here on Pensacola beach about buying another boat. Im think something I could use to catfish out of the river I live on (Lay), and trailer down to the gulf for some fishing...something comfortable for able to do catfish and bass on the river....and then drop her in the gulf. I need a something about 20'-22' with room to spread out with 5 people I think. What say you guys? I dont have no payments on cars, etc., no nothing except a little mortgage payment. What brand, what motor for salt and fresh water. Is it a pain in the ass the do this...maybe Im nuts in my old age. Just thinking. Got the Angles flying in morning preparing for Saturdays show....cant wait. They flew a little bit this morning and it was neat to see...those guys give me goose bumps at how close the fly in groups. I was about 18 beers or so in the groove when I got to talking to a pilot out of NY that came down for the show. He flys commerical airlines Delta..and said those guys fly so close they scrape paint off each others wings at times....damn.

sdw
8 Point

Re: Need an answer on another boat

Post by sdw »

I would recommend a dual console. I would also pick one that was made for offshore fishing that you can use on the lake rather than choosing a lake boat that you can take offshore. You're going to take on a lot of water offshore. Most lake boats aren't meant to do that. On a 22ft or smaller boat, you will need to watch the weather very close and pick your days that you go out. As for motors, most are rated for saltwater use. I'd make sure I flushed it really good with fresh water after it's been in saltwater. To answer your most important question "is it a pain in the ass?" All boats are. But taking a lake boat offshore in the wrong conditions can end very bad very quick. Be safe and enjoy the blue angels Saturday! Post up some pics.

dnolen
6 Point

Post by dnolen »

Uncle uses a 20ft. Bay boat center console with a 4stroke Yamaha. He fishes the bay then pulls the kids on a tube at the lake. I've considered the same setup
Roll tide!!!!!!

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Post by Tru-Talker »

dnolen wrote:Uncle uses a 20ft. Bay boat center console with a 4stroke Yamaha. He fishes the bay then pulls the kids on a tube at the lake. I've considered the same setup
I agree.... especially if you'll be going to the beach with it.... Plenty of room for 5 people fishing or riding....and move around in...... Like these two here.... And 20-22' will be plenty big....

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

Travis
Site Admin

Post by Travis »

Tru-Talker wrote:
dnolen wrote:Uncle uses a 20ft. Bay boat center console with a 4stroke Yamaha. He fishes the bay then pulls the kids on a tube at the lake. I've considered the same setup
I agree.... especially if you'll be going to the beach with it.... Plenty of room for 5 people fishing or riding....and move around in...... Like these two here.... And 20-22' will be plenty big....

I agree with these two. At 20-22' I'm assuming you're not going offfshore and only planning on bay fishing. A center console with a nice trolling motor and 4-stroke Yamaha, Honda or Merc. It doesn't have to be a salt water engine. Just make sure it's not under powered. Some people will opt for the smaller horsepower for their rigs and I wouldn't want that if I'm running in a big bay. Also, I'd want dual gas tanks (or one really big one) to make long runs and not worry about running out of fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll Tide