Interesting. Sorry for the copy and paste.

Set your drag tight, and tell us some fishing stories
Travis
Site Admin

Interesting. Sorry for the copy and paste.

Post by Travis »

Personally, I wouldn't care if every single one of the striped bass died in Martin. But I'm a little surprised that they can't find suitable water with as much depth as this lake has.

Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
Press Release
August 22, 2017

Habitat Depletion Cause of Fish Kill at Lake Martin

Adult striped bass and non-native blueback herring have been dying at Lake Martin recently due to a depletion of adequate summertime habitat.

Increased rainfall this year has led to large quantities of water being flushed through the Martin Dam turbines. The increased turbine activity has removed the water layer required for these species to survive. The duration of this fish kill could last for several weeks.

During summer in Alabama, most lakes experience stratification – the formation of distinct water layers. When stratification occurs, warmer, well-oxygenated water is located near the surface and colder, oxygen-void water is located deeper in the lake.

“Striped bass cannot tolerate either extreme and attempt to locate an acceptable transitional depth with both cool water and adequate oxygen,” said Chris Greene, Assistant Fisheries Chief for the Alabama Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries (WFF). “If this layer of water is nonexistent, then fish mortalities are inevitable.”

WFF fisheries biologists documented the depletion of this suitable layer at Lake Martin while investigating the recent fish kill.

Striped bass are native to Alabama, but due to the construction of dams on major waterways they can no longer successfully reproduce in most of their historical spawning locations.

To maintain this fishery, WFF fisheries staff stock striped bass annually in water bodies such as Lake Martin.

Under ideal conditions, striped bass can attain extraordinary sizes. The current world record for landlocked striped bass is 69 pounds, 9 ounces caught in 2013 by James Bramlett in Alabama’s Bankhead Reservoir on the Black Warrior River.

For striped bass to survive and attain these trophy sizes, the availability of suitable summertime habitat is likely the most important factor.

“We expect to see fish mortalities at Lake Martin cease once the lake begins to de-stratify and suitable habitat returns, which will likely occur sometime in October,” Greene said.

To learn more about Alabama’s freshwater fish and habitat, visit www.outdooralabama.com/freshwater-fishing.

The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources promotes wise stewardship, management and enjoyment of Alabama’s natural resources through four divisions: Marine Resources, State Lands, State Parks, and Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. To learn more about ADCNR, visit www.outdooralabama.com.

#

Alabama DNR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll Tide

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Re: Interesting. Sorry for the copy and paste.

Post by Tru-Talker »

Never been a big stripe fisherman....but like 90% of the wildlife and fish, you would think they would have the ability to adapt to the environment it's living in.... The must be very finicky fish to need that constant temperature year round.....
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

dnolen
6 Point

Re: Interesting. Sorry for the copy and paste.

Post by dnolen »

It's funny to me. I see them at all depths. At all times of the year. I would almost bet they have something eles goin on. Or they were looking at the sun during the eclipse. But honestly. When Tuscaloosa lake killed off several years ago they said it was something similar to this and finally they said if was a fungus.
Roll tide!!!!!!