On his trail

For all your future trophy displays..
Eddie Maxwell
8 Point

On his trail

Post by Eddie Maxwell »

I put a camera by this fresh scrape I found last week to try to get a look at the buck that made it. He hasn't been by lately, but these girls are on his trail.

There were some deer from North Carolina restocked in Jefferson County years ago. The peak rut in the area of the Pisgah Forest where they came from in NC starts as early as November 1. We usually see some rutting activity about this time every year before the regular rut around Christmas. I figure we've got a few does that are descended from those NC deer that bring on this early rut. The others were restocked from south Alabama counties so they rut later.

Eddie Maxwell
8 Point

Re: On his trail

Post by Eddie Maxwell »

I scanned this from a DCNR publication about restocking deer in Alabama. It's easy to see why we have an early rut and then one later judging from the source of deer that were restocked here.

To the best of my knowlege, Ted Joy's preserve is where Rock Mountain Lakes are located now just southwest of Bessemer. The fire tower on Rock Mountain is named after Ted Joy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Post by Tru-Talker »

Where do you even know to look for this kinda information
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

Eddie Maxwell
8 Point

Post by Eddie Maxwell »

Tru-Talker wrote:Where do you even know to look for this kinda information
I was never allowed to participate in competition sports growing up. I was encouraged to hunt and fish, instead... and I loved it. When I wasn't hunting, I was learning the laws and rules and reading about hunting.

I also went to seminars and gathered pamphlets and brochures handed out there. The restocking book was given to me by game wardens at their booth either at the state fair or a hunting seminar.

Part of what I see as over regulation of hunting comes from the competition sport mindset. Instead of competing with game, too many hunters are worried about competing with other hunters. With that competition mindset comes more and more rules.

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Post by Tru-Talker »

Eddie Maxwell wrote:
Tru-Talker wrote:Where do you even know to look for this kinda information
I was never allowed to participate in competition sports growing up. I was encouraged to hunt and fish, instead... and I loved it. When I wasn't hunting, I was learning the laws and rules and reading about hunting.

I also went to seminars and gathered pamphlets and brochures handed out there. The restocking book was given to me by game wardens at their booth either at the state fair or a hunting seminar.

Part of what I see as over regulation of hunting comes from the competition sport mindset. Instead of competing with game, too many hunters are worried about competing with other hunters. With that competition mindset comes more and more rules.
That makes perfect sense... But it's still hard to imagine things getting this far bent outta shape unless money is involved...
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius